Friday, April 4, 2008

April Showers (of Words)—Click Here for Poetry Month!

Monday—April 1st—marked the start of National Poetry Month. Along with hundreds of other writers, I've taken up the challenge of Writer's Digest editor Robert Lee Brewer to compose one poem every one of the thirty days in April.

No foolin'!

Come on and try it ... it's easy and fun. Clicking on the above headline "April Showers" will lead you to the Web site where you can peruse the poetry and submit your own choice sonnets, rhymes or free verse.

Three of my first four are pertinent to tri-ing. You'll find them posted at the national Web site.

—————————————————

Our haiku assignment of April 3:

It's fifty outside;
Such fools we are in wetsuits
splashing in the lake.

—————————————————


And the POV (point of view assignment) of April 2:

Your Wildflower Training Shoes

I sat in your car trunk for three weeks before you
opened my box and
even then you just looked.
At me feeling regret, and closed to
the promise I offered you.

I weighed heavily on you. You felt unworthy of me,
your
flabby thighs and arthritic knees shaking so.
Much that I worried about you and pondered
why exactly you signed up for a triathlon.

You've barely smudged my tread which should be
filthy by now. My laces are still white.
On May the fourth I have to get you through six point
two miles
but I have limits. You've gotta do some of the work.

I wonder how many laps the bike has taken.
And how, by the way, is the swimming coming?
And will you notice the poppies along the race course
beause they are so beautiful
or because you are so unprepared and slow?
Not my fault, not my fault, not my fault.

—————————————————


And today's writing prompt ("thankfulness")


For Your Entertainment

So glad to have learned it is okay
to laugh at myself instead of
making excuses like the time my
Girl Scout badge sash fell down during
kickball and tripped me up
I'm hurt I cried which silenced the
mean fifth grade grins.
How great it is today
to fall off the bike
while getting on
and know I am making
a darned good story for
your dinner table chat!

No comments: