Monday, March 17, 2008

Wildflower Training Weekend—Sunday, A Day of Rest

March 16, Sunday

"Life’s short. Don’t let something as unimportant as a car ruin your day."—Ray Magliozzi

The van engine still won't turn over. But the sun is shining! It's a new day!

Folks head off for the 10K run while I wait for the Triple A tow truck to arrive. Gimpy-hipped, I walk around a bit and disassemble the tent. Just as teammates began returning from their run, Eddie from Miller's Towing in King City has the van hooked up. I wave farewell and commence on an interesting rest-of-the-day: the ride from Lake San Antonio to Salinas, where I leave the van (still loaded with bikes and camping/training gear) for repairs (after discovering there are no local garages open for repairs today, AND no local car rental agencies open today) ... another ride from Lugo's Auto Repair tow-truck driver Henry from Salinas to the Monterey Airport, where he's "pretty sure the car rental places are open." They are, and I get a fire engine red Ford Focus for the trip home to Sacramento.

The family is relieved when I roll up around 6 p.m. The dogs think my sweaty clothes and I smell lovely. Quite the day. Quite the weekend, in fact, proving to myself that I can tackle and work through some difficult situations.

No comments: