Friday, March 14, 2008

Wiildflower Training Weekend—Friday

March 14, Friday

The Road to Lake San Antonio

Official start of Sacramento TNT's Wildflower Training Weekend at Lake San Antonio. Carmate Janey arrives at my house and we load bikes, sleeping bags and other gear into my old beater Windstar van. I brag about how this 12-year-old vehicle just chugs along and is terrific for camping trips. When it briefly refuses to start, after we have made a quick nearby stop at the Triple A office and Starbucks, I don't give it a second thought. "Old steering column," I say, and jiggle the gear lever. The van revs right up.

Janey and I arrive Friday evening, full of conversation and camaraderie, and set up tents at the campground. Just before dinner, Tri Team Manager Josh gives us the lowdown: swimming starts at 8 a.m. Saturday, followed by the bike ride. Sunday morning we will run. Tri Coach John elaborates: we will be doing (or trying to do) the entire Olympic distance triathlon course, not just "sampling" it (which I thought was the plan).

Suddenly I am stricken with familiar fear. I am surely not prepared for something as intensive as this. I go to bed praying for the ability to handle the experience. Tent-mate Shelley and I converse through the tent walls with next-door-neighbors Margaret and Janey. We're all about the same age, but I know I am the least fit of us. Still, it's a comfort knowing that the Wildflower course is new to all four of us.

The 6:30 a.m. wake-up horn will come too soon, I think.

No comments: